Egypt Independent

Number of dead Egyptians found in Libyan desert rises to 25



The number of Egyptians whose bodies were found in the Libyan desert last week has reached 25, Assistant Foreign Minister for Consular Affairs Khaled Rizk said, denying rumors that the number reached 80.

In a statement to Al-Masry Al-Youm, Rizk said that repatriating the bodies would be very difficult as most of the bodies have decomposed.

“Most people agreed to bury their relatives in Libya”, he added.

Rizk denied rumors that the victims were killed by terrorists, affirming that they died from the rising heat of the sun in the Libyan desert.

Last week, the Libyan Red Crescent Society announced in a statement on its Facebook page that bodies of illegal immigrants, including Egyptians, had been found in the east Libyan desert.

The Egyptian Health Ministry and Egyptian Red Crescent Society in coordination with the Foreign Affairs Ministry handed over a shipment of medical aid to the Libyan Red Crescent Society for distribution to hospitals and medical centers in various Libyan regions.

The Ministry said in a statement on Thursday that the assistance comes as part of Egyptian efforts to support stability in Libya and basic services provided to the country’s people.

 

Edited translation from Al-Masry Al-Youm