Egypt Independent: Arts-Main news en Tom Hanks wins tabloid apology over crumbling marriage claims <img src="" alt="" title="" class="imagecache imagecache-media_thumbnail" width="152" height="114" /><p>Tom Hanks and his wife Rita Wilson got apologies and retractions on Tuesday from two U.S. tabloids who claimed the Hollywood couple was divorcing because Hanks was in love with his co-stars Meg Ryan or Felicity Jones.<br /><br />The National Enquirer and Star Magazine, both properties of American Media Inc, issued statements, changed their online stories and will run corrections in their upcoming print editions.<br /><br />Hanks and Wilson, who have been married for 28 years, said in a statement that in the past they had laughed off tabloid stories about their &quot;soon-to-be acrimonious divorce because those stories were so far from true.&quot;<br /><br />But with their 29th anniversary coming up in April, the couple said they considered marriage to be &quot;the foundation of our family&quot; and that such stories were &quot;lies we would not put up with any longer.&quot;<br /><br />Hanks starred with Ryan in hit 1990s movies like &quot;Sleepless in Seattle&quot; and &quot;You&#39;ve Got Mail.&quot; British actress Jones is his co-star in the new adventure movie &quot;Inferno.&quot;<br /><br />&quot;We did not intend to report that Tom Hanks was having any kind of an inappropriate relationship with Meg Ryan, or that he and Rita Wilson were divorcing,&quot; the National Enquirer said in a statement on its website. Its Oct. 10 issue had run a report saying, &quot;$400 million marriage crumbling over Hanks&#39; love for Ryan.&quot;</p><div>Star Magazine apologised for an Oct. 3 report, saying &quot;we did not intend to report that Tom Hanks was having any kind of an inappropriate relationship with Felicity Jones, or that he and Rita Wilson were divorcing.&quot;</div> Thu, 20 Oct 2016 13:44:00 +0000 Reuters 2473641 at sites/default/files/photo/2016/10/20/43/81476867504_tomhanksritawilson.jpg DiCaprio foundation offers to return gifts of proven to come from Malaysian fund <img src="" alt="" title="" class="imagecache imagecache-media_thumbnail" width="152" height="114" /><p>Oscar-winner Leonardo DiCaprio&#39;s charitable foundation would return gifts or donations made to him or his ventures if they were found to have come from Malaysian wealth&nbsp;fund&nbsp;1MDB, which is being investigated on money laundering allegations, his representatives said on Tuesday.</p><p>In his first comment on the multinational probe into the fund, DiCaprio said he was cooperating with U.S. authorities to determine if money had come from questionable sources, according to the statement.</p><p>In July a Hollywood production company was accused in a U.S. civil lawsuit of using $100 million that prosecutors said had been diverted from the 1MDB fund to finance DiCaprio&#39;s 2013 film &quot;The Wolf of Wall Street,&quot; in which he starred.</p><p>In a statement on Tuesday, DiCaprio&#39;s representatives said he had first learned of the probe through press reports in July.</p><p>&quot;He immediately had his representatives reach out to the Department of Justice to determine whether he or his foundation, the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation (LDF), ever received any gifts or charitable donations directly or indirectly related to these parties, and if so, to return those gifts or donations as soon as possible,&quot; the statement said.</p><div id="articleImage"><div>&nbsp;</div></div><p>&quot;All contact was initiated by Mr. DiCaprio and LDF,&quot; it said.</p><p>The production company, Red Granite Pictures, has said that to its knowledge none of the money it received was illegitimate and that it had done nothing wrong.</p><p>The Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation, set up in 1998, supports a range of environmental projects.</p><p>In August, the Hollywood Reporter published a story alleging that the actor&#39;s foundation had benefited to the tune of some $2 million from cash and in-kind donations made by a Malaysian financier, who was named in the U.S. lawsuit as being involved in the creation of the 1MDB fund.</p><p>The actor, who won an Oscar in 2016 for his role in &quot;The Revenant,&quot; is also a United Nations climate change &quot;messenger of peace,&quot; but he has come under pressure from some environmental activists to step down from the role following the 1MDB scandal.</p><p>DiCaprio&#39;s representatives said in Tuesday&#39;s statement that he had refrained from speaking about the matter until now &quot;out of respect for (the) ongoing investigation, which has touched many charities, hospitals and individuals, who may have been unwitting recipients of funds now in question.&quot;</p> Thu, 20 Oct 2016 13:38:00 +0000 Reuters 2473640 at sites/default/files/photo/2015/07/17/43/hjj.jpg Tom Cruise promises 'unique brutality' in 'Jack Reacher' sequel <img src="" alt="" title="" class="imagecache imagecache-media_thumbnail" width="152" height="114" /><div>Tom Cruise stars as the aggrieved former U.S. military officer in sequel &quot;Jack Reacher: Never Go Back&quot;, promising &quot;a level of unique brutality&quot; in the new film based on Lee Childs&#39; books.</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>This time, Reacher uncovers the conspiracy that led to his former colleague, Major Susan Turner, being accused of spying. Reacher works to clear her name.</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>&quot;It has a great humor and it also has a level of unique brutality that this character brings,&quot; Cruise said at the film&#39;s premiere on Sunday in New Orleans, where it was filmed. &quot;It is part of who he is.&quot;</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>he movie was directed by Edward Zwick, who worked with Cruise on the 2003 film &quot;The Last Samurai&quot;.</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>Co-star Cobie Smulders - the &quot;How I Met Your Mother&quot; actress - plays Turner.</div> Mon, 17 Oct 2016 13:41:00 +0000 Reuters 2473569 at sites/default/files/photo/2015/05/28/43/screen_shot_2015-05-28_at_5.47.55_pm.png Kim Kardashian sues over claims she faked Paris robbery <img src="" alt="" title="" class="imagecache imagecache-media_thumbnail" width="152" height="114" /><div>&nbsp;Kim Kardashian on Tuesday sued a website for claiming she had staged an armed robbery in Paris that her sister said had left her terrorized and traumatized.</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>The reality TV star filed a defamation lawsuit in federal court in New York against the U.S. celebrity gossip site for reporting that she had faked the robbery, and then filed a fraudulent insurance claim.</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>Paris police said the 35-year-old celebrity was robbed at gunpoint of some $10 million in jewelry by masked men who tied her up in her Paris apartment early on Oct. 3.</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>The website did not immediately respond to a request for comment.</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>Kardashian&#39;s TV show &quot;Keeping Up With the Kardashians&quot; has been put on hold since the robbery and Kim has stopped her other business and social engagements.</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>In the first TV appearance on Tuesday by a Kardashian member since the Paris incident, her sister Khloe said the robbery had proved a &quot;wake-up call&quot; to the family, who chronicle almost every aspect of their lives on TV and social media.</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>&quot;She&rsquo;s not doing that well. I mean, it&rsquo;s incredibly traumatic what happened to her, but our family is super close and great and we&rsquo;ll get through it together,&quot; Khloe Kardashian told U.S. chat show host Ellen DeGeneres.</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>&quot;It&rsquo;s just a wake up call to make a lot of life adjustments. This is a really serious matter for Kim I think that&rsquo;s really personal,&quot; she said, adding that Kim had suffered &quot;emotional terror.&quot;</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>Tuesday&#39;s lawsuit seeks unspecified damages for defamation and names both and its founder, Fred Mwangaguhunga, as defendants.</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>&quot;After having been the victim of a horrific and traumatic armed robbery in France, Kim Kardashian returned to the United States only to again be victimized, but this time by an online gossip tabloid that published a series of articles in early October 2016 referring to her a liar and thief,&quot; the lawsuit said.</div><div>It said that Mwangaguhunga refused to publish a retraction and an apology.</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>Kardashian has been criticized for making herself vulnerable by posting photos of her $4 million dollar engagement ring and other jewelry in the days before the Paris attack.</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div>Others have made fun of the robbery. One California-based company is selling a Halloween costume called &quot;Parisian Heist Robbery Victim&quot; that consists of a long black wig, sunglasses, a white bathrobe, rope, a mouth gag and a large plastic ring.</div><div>&nbsp;</div> Thu, 13 Oct 2016 14:38:00 +0000 Reuters 2473476 at sites/default/files/photo/2015/04/10/43/kim.jpg