- Life Style
Former spy chief Omar Suleiman’s supporters have said he does not support a specific candidate in the presidential race, scheduled to start Wednesday and Thursday.
The Presidential Elections Commission had previously disqualified Suleiman, who also served as vice president under Hosni Mubarak, from running in the race over endorsement documents he submitted that it said were falsified.
Candidates had to collect 30,000 endorsements signed by citizens in 15 governorates or obtain the support of 30 MPs to apply for their presidential bids.
On their Facebook page, Suleiman’s campaigners said he has not given statements in support of any current candidates and described news reports claiming he did as “baseless.”
Suleiman would not hesitate to openly announce his support for a candidate if he decides on one, they said.
Suleiman’s candidacy had enraged political and revolutionary groups who believed that figures linked to the regime of toppled President Hosni Mubarak should not be allowed to resurface on the political scene.