- Life Style
The number of deaths resulting from clashes between protesters and security forces in Egypt since Saturday rose to 28, the Health Ministry said Tuesday.
Health Ministry Undersecretary Hisham Shiha said four more people were killed Tuesday morning.
A ministry source told Al-Masry Al-Youm that three of the four victims died at Qasr al-Aini Hospital after two of them were shot in the chest and head and the third died of asphyxiation. The fourth victim died in Ismailia from gunshot wounds.
Shiha said the bodies of the 28 victims were transferred to the morgue to be examined by prosecutors and forensic medicine experts.
He pointed to the possibility of more deaths, as a number of protesters lie in various hospitals in critical condition.
He said 18 bodies had been buried after they had been identified, and 10 bodies remain unidentified
Shiha said that all injured protesters are currently being treated at makeshift clinics in Tahrir Square and that no new injured protesters had been transferred to any hospitals during the last few hours.
Meanwhile, Health Ministry spokesman Mohamed al-Sherbiny said that 39 people were injured outside the Alexandria Security Directorate. So far, no deaths there had occured in Monday's clashes, he said.
One person died in Alexandria early Sunday morning.
Sherbiny said the injuries included gunshot wounds to the chest and abdomen, concussions, asphyxia and difficulty in breathing, as well as wounds to various parts of the body.
Translated from the Arabic Edition