The Tourism and Antiquities Police referred two suspects accused of stealing artifacts from the Egyptian Museum for military trial, according to an Interior Ministry statement released Monday.
The statement said the antiquities police, coordinating with the military, have recovered five artifacts that had been stolen from the museum during the 25 January Revolution.
The first suspect is a mechanic and the second unemployed. The statement said an undercover officer impersonated a dealer and agreed to give the suspects LE1 million for the antiquities.
Egyptian Museum Curator Tarek al-Awady has previously said that 54 antiquities were stolen from the museum on 28 January, the day police withdrew from the streets of Cairo and particularly from Tahrir Square, where the museum is located.