Egypt Independent

Egypt suspends schools for two weeks, announces LE100 billion plan against coronavirus



Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi on Sunday issued a decree to suspend schools and universities for two weeks beginning Sunday as part of a comprehensive plan to face the coronavirus outbreak.

A statement by the Egyptian Presidency said that Sisi allocated LE100 billion to finance this comprehensive plan and its precautionary measures.

The statement indicated that Sisi’s decision came after a meeting with Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly.

Egyptian Education Minister Tarek Shawki repeatedly expressed unwillingness to suspend schools over the coronavirus, and back in February he said that postponement had not been discussed at all inside the ministry.

Shawki at the time urged people to avoid listening to rumors, stressing that “If there is any concern for the children, we will say.”

Egypt’s Health Ministry announced Thursday the death of a 60-year-old woman in Daqahlia Governorate from the virus, with the country having confirmed over 80 cases of the virus so far.