Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu condemned the Cairo shooting in which at least 42 people died Monday, describing the incident as a "massacre."
Islamist protesters angered by President Mohamed Morsy's overthrow said the killings occurred when they were fired on outside Republican Guard headquarters by the Egyptian army. The military meanwhile blamed the bloodshed on a "terrorist group" that reportedly tried to storm the facility, where some believe Morsy is currently being held.
One soldier was killed in the clashes, an army statements said. It was not clear whether the deceased soldier was included in the total 42 dead reported by state media and medical officials.
"I strongly condemn the massacre that took place in Egypt at morning prayer in the name of the fundamental human values which we have been advocating," Davutoglu said on Twitter.
The Turkish foreign minister called for the start of a political normalization process that respects the national will of the Egyptian people.
The Turkish government shares Islamist roots with Morsy's Muslim Brotherhood.
Davutoglu last week denounced the Egyptian army's removal of Morsy after days of mass unrest against his rule, calling it "a military coup," adding that it was "unacceptable."