Following army Colonel Ahmed Konsowa’s recent announcement that he intends to run for Egypt’s presidency, the country’s military prosecution on Saturday ordered his detention for a period of 15 days.
According to Konsowa’s lawyer Assaed Haikal, who spoke to Egypt Independent on Sunday the prosecution requested him to be present during the criminal investigation, and said that the military considers the detention as a “remand”.
Assaed added that as saying that his client is charged with violating the military rule after his client expressed his political views through the published video footage in which he declared his intent to run for the 2018 Presidential elections, in addition to using his military uniform for purposes unrelated to military service.
The attorney added that the detention of Konsowa cannot be appealed.
Last week, Konsawa announced his intention to run in next year’s presidential elections, becoming the third consecutive candidate to declare their bid for the post, after rights lawyer Khalid Ali and former Prime Minister Ahmed Shafiq did it.
His wife, who preferred not to reveal her name, confirmed to Egypt Independent on Sunday that her husband will remain in detention for 15 days due to the publication of the video.
“I did not know that he was intending to run for the 2018 presidential elections. He was a good and competent army officer and he previously handed in his resignation from the army to be able to practice politics” she said.
However, according to her, the resignation request has not yet been processed.
“We [his family] are now safe and we have not received any threats […] Today, I found out more details on my husband’s current status in prison; he is well and is receiving appropriate treatment” she added.
Commenting on his declaration to run for the upcoming elections, she told Egypt Independent that once she found out, she and the rest of the family expressed their support to him.
“I am Colonel Ahmed Konswa, an architect military officer for the Egyptian Armed Forces” he said in a video statement, while also expressing his faith in Egypt’s ability to continue to thrive.”I would like to confirm that the story of justice and freedom is impossible to be ended on Egyptian soil,” he went on.
Konswa added that Egypt will never be a failed or divided state, “This is not going to happen at present, and will not happen forever”.
“I proudly declare that I seek to unlock the current political deadlock by running for the anticipated Egyptian presidential election, according to its terms and conditions as defined by the Egyptian constitution and relevant laws – in the light of objectives and demands of January 25th and June 30th Revolutions”.
Konsowa emphasized that he does not belong to any existing established party, but instead belongs to “the comprehensive mainstream of the Egyptian people.”
He further explained how the strength and unity of the nation and its military are not controversial issues for him, but remains his main focus.
“They are definitely my top priorities in such crucial circumstances when the urgent need to defeat the escalating threat of terrorism is dominating the world and our region in particular”.
He stated that policies which are “inappropriate, counterproductive and outdated” fuel extremism and discontent in Egypt.
Konswa said that, following his video statement on Wednesday, he would announce his envisioned road-map for the upcoming presidential term “for the sake of an equitable, scientifically advanced, independent, and fully sovereign Egypt.”
President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi has not yet announced his candidacy for next year’s elections. However, he is widely expected to run for a second term.