Egypt Independent

Army spokesperson: Three militants killed in Sinai operations



Egypt’s military said Thursday that three jihadist militants were killed and sixteen others arrested in an army operation in North Sinai, which has been witnessing mounting attacks against army and police since the ouster of former president Mohamed Morsy in 2013.
 
On his facebook page, army spokesperson, Colonel Mohamed Samir, said army raids resulted in detonating eight IEDs and two booby-trapped cars in the regions of Zawaraa and Sheikh Zuwayed.
 
Three militants on board of one of the booby-trapped cars, which had been heading to border areas, were killed, Samir said, adding that 15 houses and 35 huts used to shelter terrorist elements had been demolished. Twenty-one unlicensed motorbikes were also destroyed.
 
Two of the arrested militants were injured in a shootout with the forces, according to the statement.
 
 
Edited translation from Al-Masry Al-Youm