Tag-Eddin stated that the symptoms of the new strain remain the same as before. Those suffering from severe symptoms must go to the doctor immediately, he advised.
He added that while all respiratory viruses are contagious, the ability of each virus and mutation to spread its infection varies.
- Getting a vaccination shot with booster doses, especially for groups most at risk
- Staying in well ventilated areas
- Continuous disinfection of hands and surfaces
- Wearing facemasks in crowded, poorly ventilated places
The spread of the new strain
According to Egypt’s Health Ministry during the last 28 days, four WHO regions reported a decrease in the number of cases and deaths, and the Western Pacific region reported an increase in cases of the new variant and decrease in mortality.
- Western Pacific Ocean region – 97 percent
- Africa – 80 percent
- Southeast Asia – 51 percent
- Europe – 18 percent
- The Eastern Mediterranean region (which includes Egypt) -16 percent
Death rates monitored in the five WHO regions were recorded as:
- Africa: 87 percent
- Southeast Asia: 62 percent
- Europe: 57 percent
- Western Pacific Ocean region – 46 percent
- The Eastern Mediterranean region (which includes Egypt): 15 percent