- Life Style
With a lack of ice cream makers in Egypt, the idea of making ice cream or sorbet can be a little daunting. Make sure you have the day off - a relaxed weekend - and get your kids or friends involved so churning every 30-minutes is less like a chore. Otherwise, sorbet may be one of the easiest desserts to make. The ingredients are simple and the opportunity to take advantage of Egypt’s delicious August mangoes should not be missed!
1 large bowl that can survive in the freezer
4 large mangoes
1 cup white sugar
1 cup water
½ cup lime juice
1. In advance, boil sugar in water till it dissolves completely. Then place in the fridge to chill - this is called simple syrup and is necessary to sweeten the sorbet if you are using ripe mangoes. If you are using canned mangoes in syrup, you do not need this syrup.
2. Remove mango flesh from the four mangoes and blend in a blender.
3. Add syrup and lime juice to blender and blend till totally mixed.
4. Pour mixture into your bowl and leave to chill in the fridge for 2 hours.
5. Transfer bowl to the freezer for 30 minutes. Remove bowl and beat sorbet mix with a whisk till creamy again.
6. Transfer bowl again to the freezer for 30 minutes. Remove bowl and beat sorbet mix till creamy.
7. Transfer bowl again to the freezer for 30 minutes. Remove bowl and beat sorbet mix with a whisk till creamy for a third and final time.
8. Transfer bowl again to the freezer for 1 hour. It will then be ready to eat but test sorbet for softness ... if you want it harder, leave it in for a little longer.
9. Scoop and serve!