- Life Style
The Egyptian National Oceanography Institute has formed a team of experts to study possible environmental changes near the Red Sea resort city of Sharm El-Sheikh that might have been the cause for recent shark attacks in the area.
“The team will include experts from the United States,” said team leader Sherif Fattouh, adding that all diving activities in the area had been temporarily relocated to the nearby town of Dahab.
On Sunday, a German tourist was killed in the most recent shark attack. Last week, four other tourists of different nationalities were badly injured when they were also mauled by sharks.
International news websites have cited various theories for the recent spate of attacks, ranging from overfishing to Israel. South Sinai Governor Mohamed Abdel Fadil Shousha has been quoted as saying he did not rule out Mossad involvement, contending that it was in Israel's interest to damage Egypt's thriving tourism industry.
Shousha, however, has since denied ever making the statement.
Egyptian Diving Chamber Director Hisham Gabr, for his part, said that divers had searched the entire area between Naama Bay and Ras Mohamed without finding any sharks.
“We will permit professional and highly-experienced divers to dive in the area starting Tuesday,” he said. “But we won’t allow any beginners.”
Translated from the Arabic Edition.