Huge fire in Sphinx Square contained

Huge fire in Sphinx Square contained

On

Tue, 27/08/2013 - 13:52

Civil protection forces in Giza contained a massive fire that broke out in a number of shops and a cinema next to Zamalek Club in Mohandiseen's Sphinx Square on Tuesday morning.

The initial losses include 15 shops and a large cafe. No injuries were reported.

The General Administration of Civil Protection in Giza received a notification of the incident and sent five vehicles to the scene to put out the fire before spreading to the rest of the shops.

Witnesses said that the fire broke out due to a short circuit, causing a gas pipe explosion.

North Giza Prosecution inspected the scene of the fire in Sphinx Square on Tuesday.

Preliminary inspection has revealed that the explosion of butane gas cylinders was behind the fire that burnt for three hours and engulfed 12 shops. The presence of flammable materials has helped the fire extend from one shop to another.

The prosecution has assigned the criminal lab to investigate the reason behind the breakout of the fire and requested the investigation conducted.

The local council was assigned to determine the condition of nearby buildings. The testimonies of the owners of the damaged shops will also be heard.