President decrees Port Said massacre victims as revolution martyrs

President decrees Port Said massacre victims as revolution martyrs

On

Tue, 22/01/2013 - 19:28

President Mohamed Morsy has issued a decree defining the victims of the Port Said Stadium massacre as martyrs of the revolution, according to Khaled al-Badawy, secretary general of the National Council of Care for the Revolution Martyrs’ Families and Wounded.

At a press conference with presidential spokesperson Yasser Ali on Tuesday, Badawy said the council will now start to make payments the families of these victims in line with their new designation as martyrs of the revolution.

“We have so far paid more than LE80 million in compensation to the families of the martyrs,” he said. “Each family has received LE100,000, while the injured have received between LE5000 and LE15,000, depending on the injury.”

“We have also found for the families more than 4000 jobs,” Badawy said, adding that certain ministries did not commit to the jobs they had offered. “But the prime minister is attending to this.”

Edited translation from Al-Masry Al-Youm