- Life Style
Tribal chieftains in Sinai held a popular conference in Rafah on Tuesday for the Coptic Christians living in the city to reassure them of their safety after they received death threats last month.
Nearly 15 Coptic families had reportedly abandoned their homes in Rafah after unknown persons put up flyers demanding that they leave. Later, an unknown assailant fired at a Coptic-owned store. The incident was condemned by the acting pope of the Coptic Orthodox Church, Bishop Pachomius.
The tribal chiefs said that Copts have been living among them in peace for more than 30 years, and that the shooting was an individual case that was an outcome of the security vacuum.
They condemned the perpetrator as seeking to sow seeds of discord among the people of one nation, and pledged to maintain friendly relations with their “Coptic brothers.”
For their part, the Copts praised their Muslim neighbors, saying it was them who guarded their homes and property.
Coptic families went to live in Rafah after Sinai returned to Egyptian sovereignty in 1982.
Bishop Quzman of North Sinai has denied reports that the region’s Coptic citizens have been forced to leave their homes in the city of Rafah and relocate to Arish.
“No evictions have taken place in Rafah. There are Christian businesses owners who have kept their stores open despite facing attacks by gunfire,” he said in press statements on Tuesday.
Edited translation from MENA