Egypt Independent

Antiquities ministry employees threaten strike action



Dozens of employees of the Ministry of Antiquities protested Wednesday before the cabinet, calling for permanent employment contracts. They threatened to go on strike if their demands are not met, a move that would mean the closure of various museums and in some cases the removal of security measures.

“I have been working as a security guard with a temporary contract since 1999. My salary doesn’t exceed LE400 per month. If I don't get a permanent contract, I won’t go to work,” said Hassan Mahmoud, one of the protesters.

Another protester said, “The ministry makes US$4.5 billion annually from external exhibitions, which means that permanent contracts won't cripple the budget."

Some protesters say that they had already postponed their protest once before out of concern at the security situation since the clashes in Imbaba.

Translated from the Arabic Edition