For many, breaking their fast is not about stuffing as much meat and rice into their mouths as possible but about taking a moment to pray, contemplate the day of fasting and munch on a couple of dates and a glass of milk. And while this is sure to be a lighter load on your body and less of a shock to your metabolism, we’d like to shake things up a bit. So take the light and spiritual way of breaking your fast up a notch with some chocolate and nuts.
A bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips or 16 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped up in little pieces.
20-25 pitted black dates
20-25 walnuts or pecans
Parchment paper or aluminum foil
A skewer, toothpick, or fork
1. Stuff each date with a walnut (as well as you can) and set it aside.
2. Line a baking sheet or a flat serving dish with foil or parchment paper.
3. Heat the chocolate either on the stove or in the microwave until it is melted.
4. Skewer each stuffed date and dip it in the chocolate, pouring chocolate over it with a spoon until it is well covered.
5. Place each chocolate-dipped date on the parchment paper or foil to cool.
6. Store in the refrigerator or freezer for two hours before serving.
If this recipe is too sugary for breaking your fast, save the dates for dessert and serve them with strong Turkish coffee.