The Head of the preventive medicine sector at the Egyptian Ministry of Health and Population Amr Qandil, said that since the World Health Organization announced monkeypox as a global epidemic, 13 unconfirmed cases have been reported in Egypt, of which only two have been confirmed.
During a phone interview with MBC Masr on Saturday, Qandil said: “The World Health Organization had announced earlier that the monkeypox virus was a health emergency. Since the organization’s announcement, until now, 13 cases have been suspected, of which only two have been confirmed.”
He pointed out that “The first case that was confirmed was early in September and it was from an Egyptian citizen who has a nationality of a European country and was discovered in Egypt. The other case was discovered on September 26 for a man from an Arab country coming to Egypt from abroad.”
Qandil said, “No cases were discovered in Egypt except for these cases only. The total number of monkeypox cases worldwide is 86,000 cases, including 28 deaths.”