The Hamas government in the Palestinian Gaza Strip said on Sunday that Egypt is maintaining the closure of the Rafah land crossing for a second consecutive day.
On 25 May, Egypt announced it would open the crossing permanently, from 9 am to 5 pm, to facilitate the movement of Palestinians through the border. But the authorities shut it on Saturday, 4 June, citing maintenance and renovation works.
Last week, Hamas complained of difficulties facing travelers and the failure to implement the promise fully.
In a press release, Ayoub Abu Shaar, the crossing's superintendent, said the Palestinian side has suspended border activities until a resolution is achieved with the Egyptian government.
Abu Shaar attributed the suspension to the ambiguity of the crossing system over the past few days, as well as its slow pace and the decision to close the crossing without the coordination with the Palestinian side.
He said that both the Egyptian and the Palestinian side are working to solve the technical and administrative issues that are impeding the movement through the crossing. After those issues are resolved the reopening will be announced.
Meanwhile, dozens of Palestinian travellers objected to the closure and attempted to storm through the gates before security agents from Hamas managed to intervene.
Translated from the Arabic Edition