- Life Style
Seventy-five people are to stand trial on 17 April in connection with the Port Said football violence last month that left more than 70 people dead, state news agency MENA said Saturday.
Nine policemen are among the defendants in the trial, which will be held in Cairo for security reasons, it reported.
On 1 February, clashes in the Suez Canal city of Port Said between fans of home side Masry and Cairo's Ahly team erupted at the final whistle. Masry fans invaded the pitch after their team beat the visitors 3-1.
It was one of the deadliest incidents in football history and sparked days of violent protests in Cairo, in which another 16 people were killed.
Witnesses claimed that the violence was caused by wilful security and police failures, as people were allowed into the stadium carrying knives, fireworks and other weapons. The stadium's lights were turned off and its steel doors bolted shut during the violence, trapping dozens who were crushed to death.
Many believe the violence was orchestrated either by the police or supporters of ousted President Hosni Mubarak, a reflection of distrust towards Egypt's ruling military.