- Life Style
A number people who were injured during the 25 January revolution held a sit-in inside the headquarters of the National Council for Care of the Revolution Martyrs’ Families and Wounded on Tuesday and prevented the council’s Secretary General Khaled Badawy from entering the building after they blocked the doors from inside.
The protesters demanded their due financial compensation, appointments to government positions and housing.
One of the protesters said 40 people protested inside the council’s headquarters, while dozens of others demonstrated outside in solidarity with them. The protester complained that the demands of the injured have not been met although nearly two years have passed since the outbreak of the revolution.
He stressed the sit-in would continue until council officials meet their demands.
“We demand that the list of revolutionary injured be purged of the names of thugs and that we receive the rest of our compensation. We also demand supervision over the current secretary general to prevent any wrongdoing as happened under the former secretary general,” said the injured protester.
Ayman Hefny, coordinator of a coalition of revolutionary injured and martyrs’ families, said Badawy asked protesters to give the council until the end of November to meet their demands.
Prime Minister Hesham Qandil appointed Badawy, a Muslim Brotherhood figure, last month after dismissing the former secretary general, Hosni Saber, when the families of the martyrs demanded it in a demonstration, accusing him of failing to do his job.
According to the Health Ministry, an estimated 840 were killed during the 25 January revolution, with an additional 6,467 injured.
The Supreme Council of the Armed Forces announced in June 2011 the formation of a council to address the needs of those affected by the violence. Former Prime Minister Kamal al-Ganzouri issued a formal decree to officially establish the council the following December.
Edited translation from Al-Masry Al-Youm