Lawsuit accusing actress of spreading obscenity adjourned

Lawsuit accusing actress of spreading obscenity adjourned

On

Wed, 14/11/2012 - 16:53

The Qasr al-Nil Misdemeanors Court adjourned on Wednesday a lawsuit filed by several lawyers against actress Elham Shaheen accusing her of inciting indecency through her ​​artwork to 28 November.

The plaintiffs said that Shaheen’s movies and shows feature unacceptable scenes of sexual arousal and gestures, all of which serve to spread obscenity.

The defense team stressed that the lawsuit is frivolous, tying it to a “fierce” Islamist campaign against art. Directors and writers are responsible for the content of movies, which an actor is merely an artistic tool, Shaheen’s lawyers said.

Further, the defense added, all the films and television shows in question were approved by the censorship authorities.

The same court last week refused to hear a similar case Al-Azhar Professor Abdallah Badr filed against Shaheen, saying it was out of the court’s jurisdiction.

Edited translation from Al-Masry Al-Youm