- Life Style
A number of marches arrived in Tahrir Square from Talaat Harb Square, Shubra, Al-Fatah Mosque downtown and Mustafa Mahmoud Square in Mohandiseen Tuesday night.
They demanded the cancellation of the constitutional declaration, postponing the constitutional referendum until consensus is achieved and the formation of a new Constituent Assembly that would be more representative of the Egyptian people.
They also denounced what the Muslim Brotherhood and Freedom and Justice Party’s domination over executive and decision-making bodies.
Demonstrators who have staged a sit-in in the square continued for the 12th day, threatening to escalate to civil disobedience.
A march of journalists had arrived in Tahrir at sunset on Tuesday to join protesters there, as marches from Shubra and Mohandiseen were expected to reach the square soon.
Prominent opposition figures Mohamed ElBaradei and Hamdeen Sabbahi are not expected to participate in tonight’s protests.
Ahmed Darrag, a Constitution Party leader, said that ElBaradei told the party’s leadership that he would not participate because he is fatigued after taking part in several marches and meetings over the past days.
Popular Current leader Mohamed Suleiman said that Sabbahi would not attend the march because he does not want to be accused of attempting to topple the president. Sabbahi respects the president but seeks the cancellation of the new constitutional declaration, Suleiman added.
Hundreds of journalists and other protesters had earlier demonstrated in front of the Journalists Syndicate to express their rejection of the articles on journalism and freedoms in the new constitution, scheduled to be put to a nationwide referendum on 15 December.
The protesters chanted, “Down with the rule of the [Muslim Brotherhood] supreme guide,” and “The people want to bring down the regime.”
The protesters also raised banners reading, “Absolute power corrupts” and, “The Journalists Syndicate rejects the articles on freedom and journalism in the constitution.”
The Journalists Syndicate board said in a statement that it rejects a call issued by Shura Council Speaker Ahmed Fahmy, who is also the head of the Supreme Press Council, for the chief editors of state-owned, partisan and private papers to meet to discuss the controversial articles in the draft constitution.
Describing the articles of the draft constitution as catastrophic, the statement said the call is only a ploy to bestow the new constitution with legitimacy.