Fereek (grits) make for a delicious meal that only require a little chicken or meat on the side to be complete. Here is an easy recipe for fereek and meat cooked in a tajin (clay pot).
1/2 kilo of beef, cubed
1 large onion, chopped
1 cup of tomato sauce
1/2 cup of fereek
3 glasses of water
2 tablespoons of sunflower or corn oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Wash the fereek grains and soak them in water overnight, or at least for five hours until they are soft.
2. Preheat the oven to 200C.
3. Sear the beef cubes in a frying pan with some corn or sunflower oil. Salt and pepper until brown.
4. Chop the onions into small pieces and add salt and pepper.
5. Wipe the tajin pot with some oil and add all the ingredients in – the fereek, tomato sauce, and chopped onion – with some more salt and pepper.
6. Add half of the fereek mixture into the tajin, then add the meat, and then add the rest of the fereek.
7. Add three glasses of boiling water to the tajin and put the whole thing in the oven.
8. You can add some more water to the mixture while it's cooking if you need to. The tajin should bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until the meat is tender.