A statement issued by the family of the late Egyptian President Mohamed Hosni Mubarak, through Gamal Mubarak, about the latest international judicial procedures in favor of the Mubarak family, caused an uproar on social media.
Gamal Mubarak posted a video clip on social media, in which he read out the family’s statement.
He said in the video: “The decade-long international legal battle for President Mubarak’s family has ended in the wake of the recent ruling by the General Court of the EU.
Once again, the restrictive measures imposed by the Council of the EU on the family were illegal from the beginning, as it depended on the Egyptian measures that violated its basic rights to a fair trial guaranteed by the European Convention on Human Rights, fundamental freedoms and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.”
“This was followed by the decision of the Swiss Federal Prosecutor’s Office to completely acquit Alaa and Gamal Mubarak after the end of the 11-year criminal investigation,” he said, adding that “in the same context, the UK authorities have recognized that the same basic Egyptian procedures against the Mubarak family do not meet the legal requirements under the UK law to impose sanctions against them.”
Gamal continued, addressing his late father: “Throughout this battle, and even in its darkest times, you were always confident, against all odds, that we would win in the end, even after your passing. You left us, father, but we have already won.”
The statement caused an uproar on social media during the past two days, as some considered that Gamal Mubarak made a mistake by appearing on the media again.
The statement included some points relating to their legal procedures before the courts of the European Union and the family’s wealth.
Gamal Mubarak, son of the late deposed president, said in the statement, on Tuesday evening, that the statement: “is of particular historical significance given the consistent international media campaign of false allegations of corruption that was unleashed against my family almost 10 years ago.”
“My family has decided that we simply cannot stay silent anymore in the face of such persistent defamatory reporting.
It is time that the family responds directly. This statement represents our response in that respect,” he said.
“Today, and after ten years of incredibly intrusive investigations, a litany of international mutual legal assistance requests among various judicial authorities and a multitude of judicial proceedings in several jurisdictions, concluded that all the allegations levelled against my family were utterly false.
There is not a single shred of evidence that my late father or my mother ever held any overseas assets of any kind,” he said.
“Not a single allegation of assets hidden overseas by other members of the family turned out to be true.
All of our assets were transparently and willingly declared in line with applicable statutes.
Not a single allegation regarding the professional business activity of myself and my brother turned out to be true.
All of our income was judicially confirmed to have originated from lawful sources.
“With the benefit of vast powers including the requirement that suspects explain the sources of their assets: not a single judicial authority in any EU Member State, or indeed in any other foreign jurisdiction, has discovered any legal violation of any sort by me or my family” Mubarak said.
The General Court of the EU in April 2022 canceled a decision to freeze the funds of late President Hosni Mubarak and his family.
The court’s official website stated that it had canceled the decision of the EU Council issued in 2011, which had been renewed until 2021 “concerning restrictive measures directed against certain persons, entities and bodies in view of the situation in Egypt.”
The court also ruled that the EU Council would bear the litigation costs incurred by the Mubarak family.
The court however did not disclose on its website the amount of funds that will be removed from the freeze.
The funds will be available to the Mubarak family after the expiry of the 70-day period of appealing the court’s decision.
In 2021 the EU announced the abolition of sanctions imposed in 2011 on nine Egyptians: including the family of former President Hosni Mubarak, on suspicion of embezzling state funds.