- Life Style
Egypt's security authorities have declared that a soccer game between the country's leading teams, Ahly and Zamalek, will be played as scheduled despite renewed unrest Tuesday and Wednesday in Tahrir Square.
Clashes broke out on Tuesday night between Central Security forces and protesters, including some of the families of those killed during protests earlier this year.
The Ministry of Interior released a statement appealing to football fans and sports authorities to cooperate with the ministry in securing a safe game.
Earlier on Wednesday, Egyptian Football Association head Samir Zaher told state television that the match would be indefinitely postponed based on security instructions.
But the ministry said later in the day that it would allow the match to be played as scheduled out of respect for fans and in an effort to preserve the image of the country and its athletics.
Football competitions were brought to a halt during the 25 January uprising. On 2 April, Zamalek's supporters stormed the field at Cairo Stadium after the Africa Champions League game with Club Africain of Tunisia, arousing much debate about the propriety of resuming matches.
Many placed blame for the Cairo Stadium incident on pro-Mubarak "thugs", who have often served as a nebulous scapegoat for any security incidents.