Trial of Mohamed Mahmoud 'eye sniper' adjourned to July

Trial of Mohamed Mahmoud 'eye sniper' adjourned to July

On

Tue, 12/06/2012 - 20:54

The Cairo Criminal Court on Tuesday adjourned the case of police officer Mahmoud Sobhy al-Shenawy, the alleged eye sniper of last November’s Mohamed Mahmoud Street clashes, to 4 July, when the court will hear the prosecution’s witnesses.

In Tuesday’s session, the court heard the testimony of a forensic scientist, who said the seized weapons are cartridge rifles and he could not determine when they were fired. He said the same rifles could be used to fire tear gas as well as bullets.  

Shenawy’s defense presented pictures of people shooting policemen and demonstrators alike during the clashes, thereby contending that a third party was firing bullets and birdshots to incite fighting between protesters and security forces.

Shenawy is charged with attempted murder and shooting peaceful demonstrators during the clashes that erupted on 19 November of last year between protesters demanding an end to military rule and security forces on downtown Cairo’s Mohamed Mahmoud Street, which leads to the Interior Ministry. Days of fighting left 45 people dead and hundreds injured.

After the clashes, activists published pictures showing Shennawy aiming his rifle at protesters’ eyes as his colleagues cheered him on. The activists demanded his arrest.

Edited translation from MENA