Egypt's Interior Ministry announced on Sunday that it is planning to form a committee to monitor the implementation of Emergency Law.
Last week, the ruling Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF) said the Emergency Law will remain in force until June 2012.
The SCAF also expanded the scope of the law to incriminate the publication of false information, blocking street traffic and thuggery.
Egyptian legal experts believe the country's penal code is sufficient to address such crimes and claim the SCAF is following in the footsteps of the Mubarak regime by suppressing the media and freedom of speech.
In a statement, the Interior Ministry said the committee will be comprised of members from its public security and legal affairs departments and will be supervised by the interior minister himself.
The committee will examine all cases in which the law is implemented and ensure investigations are serious, the statement said. It will also examine how dangerous the cases are.
The statement also reassured that the law will not be used to suppress basic freedoms or peaceful freedom of expression in conformance with existing Egyptian law.
The statement further said that people punished under Emergency Law may resort to the judiciary to challenge their sentences.
Translated from the Arabic Edition