Egypt Independent

Mubarak still in Egypt, says Supreme Council of Armed Forces



The ruling Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF) on Monday denied that ousted president Hosni Mubarak went to Saudi Arabia three days ago.

In a statement on its official Facebook page, the SCAF said Mubarak and his family are under house arrest in Egypt. Local news reports on the same day had claimed that he traveled to Saudi Arabia to get treatment for pancreatic cancer at a hospital in Tabuk.

The Mubaraks face several corruption charges, and their assets have been ordered frozen by the attorney general. They were banned from travel on 28 February.

Last month, a senior Saudi delegation extended an invitation by Saudi King Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz to host Mubarak.

The king was the first Arab leader to express total support for Mubarak during the pro-democracy protests that led to the latter’s ouster on 11 February. He described Egyptian protesters as a handful of “infiltrators” who harbor grudges and want to devastate the country and its unity.