Brotherhood preps for major protest against Moqattam attacks

Brotherhood preps for major protest against Moqattam attacks

On

Wed, 27/03/2013 - 22:13

 

The Muslim Brotherhood is planning a major Islamist protest against opponents it claims attacked its headquarters in Cairo and elsewhere last weekend.
 
Deputy Supreme Guide Khairat al-Shater is coordinating with other Islamist groups to organize the demonstrations outside Cairo University within days, a source within the group told Al-Masry Al-Youm Wednesday.
 
Members of the group’s guidance bureau and Shura Council met Wednesday afternoon at its headquarters in Moqattam, where leaders discussed possible repercussions of the attacks.
 
The source said the guidance bureau rejected calls by youth members to dismiss Interior Minister Mohamed Ibrahim for failing to protect the Moqattam offices and other branches, claiming the minister was doing his best to protect citizens.
 
Meanwhile, the group's Shura Council approved the formation of youth "vigilance committees" to protect its premises. It also increased the number of personal bodyguards assigned to protect Supreme Guide Mohamed Badie and Shater.
 
Youth members have been ordered to patrol Brotherhood offices across the country against possible attacks after opposition forces called for their own mass protest on Friday to denounce the arrest of activists accused of inciting the clashes in Moqattam last week.
 
The Brotherhood said members should be on standby in case they're called on to protect offices during the Friday protests. However, they were also asked not to carry weapons. 
 
Badie posted on Facebook that it is time for security forces to do everything in their power to prevent vadals from attacking private and public property.
 
“We believe in peaceful expression, but this does not mean the Brotherhood becomes a target to destroy,” he added. “We will sue those aggressors.”
 
Edited translation from Al-Masry Al-Youm