- Life Style
Egypt’s military rulers are responsible for the life of a jailed blogger on the 43rd day of a hunger strike, Amnesty International warned today after a Cairo military court adjourned his appeal hearing until 11 October.
Maikel Nabil Sanad, 26, was arrested in March and given a three-year jail sentence for publishing articles on his blog documenting human rights violations perpetrated by the Egyptian military, including the use of violence against pro-democracy activists.
Sanad has been on hunger strike since 23 August, protesting against his imprisonment. His health is deteriorating steadily and he is reported to have lost 15 kilograms since he stopped eating. He is also suffering from anemia, scabies and kidney problems, according to the Arabic Network for Human Rights Information.
Negad al-Borey, Sanad’s lawyer, told Al-Masry Al-Youm earlier on Tuesday that the appeal hearing was adjourned because the judge said the official court documents were not in proper order.
Borey added that this is the court’s responsibility, not that of any lawyer.
“Maikel Nabil Sanad’s dire predicament highlights the ongoing abuses faced by prisoners of conscience in Egypt,” said Hassiba Hadj Sahraoui, Amnesty International’s Deputy Director for the Middle East and North Africa.
It was the first trial of a blogger by a military court after the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF) assumed control following the toppling of former President Hosni Mubarak on 11 February.
“Civilians should never face trial before military courts, which are fundamentally unfair, as they deny defendants basic fair trial guarantees, including the right to proper appeal,” added Sahraoui.
“It seems that little has changed since the 'January 25 Revolution’. The Egyptian authorities must urgently act to rectify the injustice done to this blogger, whose life is in danger after his wrongful imprisonment.”