EgyptAir stewards suspended their strike Friday evening after Mohamed Gadallah, legal adviser to President Mohamed Morsy, brokered an agreement between them and the company.
Tourism Minister Hesham Zaazou and Hossam Kamal, chairman of the Holding Company for EgyptAir, attended the meeting.
Al-Masry Al-Youm reported that work resumed at the airport after the agreement reached met all of the stewards' demands. Zaazou extended his apologies to travellers.
Sources within the company estimated the Friday’s losses at LE50 million, saying that around 16,000 passengers were delayed.
After the failure of strikes earlier on Friday, Kamal had said that the strikers set 20 demands and claimed that EgyptAir met 19 of them.
Kamal told Al-Masry Al-Youm that the stewards' demand for a salary increase is included in the new budget, but the raises have not yet been applied and the stewards are demanding immediate application. The increase in salaries would cost the company LE22-23 million annually, Kamal added, saying that this was a burden on the company after the losses it has experienced since the revolution.
In a brief statement, the company announced that about 48 flights had been postponed since the strike began at midnight, disrupting the travel plans of around 9,000 passengers.
Passengers were crowded in departure halls without knowing when their flights would depart, the statement added.
The company announced that it rented four planes from another airline to deal with the congestion.
Edited translation from Al-Masry Al-Youm